Can a doctor get rid of poison ivy?

You probably don't need medical treatment for a poison ivy rash unless it spreads widely, persists for more than a few weeks, or becomes infected. If you're concerned, you'll probably see your primary care doctor first. You may be referred to a doctor who specializes in skin disorders (dermatologist). Your doctor may prescribe an oral corticosteroid, such as prednisone.

They may also give you a steroid cream to apply to your skin. If the rash becomes infected, you may need to take an oral antibiotic. If the blisters are opened, do not remove the skin that covers it, as the skin can protect the rough wound underneath and prevent infection. Your doctor can diagnose a poison ivy rash by reviewing your symptoms.

They will also examine the rash to make sure it isn't caused by an allergy or other medical condition. A poison ivy rash usually goes away without medical treatment, but until then it can cause serious discomfort. Isopropyl alcohol can remove urushiol oil from skin and other surfaces. It's a good idea to bring alcohol wipes with you when hiking or camping to apply them quickly to the affected area after exposure to poison ivy.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reports that urushiol can stay on the surface of most items that come in contact with poison ivy, sometimes for years, unless a person treats it with alcohol or water. It is also possible to experience the effects of poison ivy if it burns, since the oil is transported in the smoke. If you have been in contact with poison ivy, you should thoroughly wash exposed skin and clothing immediately. The company says that this bar soap can soothe, cleanse and soothe irritated skin after contact with poison ivy.

Identifying and avoiding poison ivy, wearing protective clothing, and using barrier creams may reduce the risk of exposure. Dermatologists emphasize that the rash is only treated if you are absolutely sure that poisonous ivy, oak or sumac caused it. Thoroughly wash all the clothes you were wearing when you came into contact with the poisonous plant. If you have a severe reaction to poison ivy, oak or sumac, you should go to the emergency room immediately.

Talk to your family doctor to find out if this information applies to you and to learn more about this topic. Accidental soap product poisoning can result from ingestion or inhalation of any type of chemical soap product. Even if you are not very allergic to poison ivy, you may need to contact a doctor if you have a rash that doesn't go away within 7 to 10 days with home treatment or that gets worse. Apple cider vinegar is a popular treatment for poison ivy rash, but there is little scientific evidence to support its use.

The good news is that you don't need to see a doctor right away, but you may need it eventually if it gets worse or if you can't treat it on your own.

Lila Mullenix
Lila Mullenix

Evil problem solver. Avid food nerd. Total travel junkie. Incurable food evangelist. Unapologetic twitter buff.